Thursday, September 6, 2012

Red and White in Colorado - 2005

45” X 45”




This quilt was made for my mom for Christmas 2005. The idea to make her a quilt had been forming all year, and for some reason red and white just seemed like the perfect colors for her. I wanted to use the good fabric, and this was my first project using fabric from a quilt shop. My thinking was that quiltmakers rarely get gifted with quilts, and I thought it might be a nice surprise to do that for her.

I decided on the traditional Ohio Star pattern, as she was born and raised in Ohio. Red and white combined with a traditional pattern reminded me of the west, where we always seemed to set our minds on going as kids, and where my mom now calls home (Colorado). My only wish is that I’d have made it bigger, as it is okay for a lap, but not for curling up under. I kind of ran out of time and fabric. I actually worked on it in the airport on the way to Houston where my family was gathering for Christmas. I gave it to her on Christmas and THEN hand sewed the last of the edge together the same day. My mom says she turns it diagonally and it covers her feet, but I think a bigger quilt is in order to add to the collection. In good time. This one is hand-tied with red embroidery thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment